XML
Title :

The deanery, Windsor Castle

Author :
TATTON-BROWN, Tim ;
Publication year :
1998
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
For almost six and a half centuries, the wardens (and later the deans) of S. George's Chapel have been lodged in the extreme north-east corner of the lower ward at Windsor Castle. From fairly modest beginnings, the house developed into a much grander building, after the construction of a huge new chapel in the late 15th c. After the Elizabethan settlement it developed further and was a childhood home of Sir Christopher Wren, before being vandalized in the Commonwealth period. Following the Reformation, it was reconstructed and then given a grand new front in 1710 for the first of a series of aristocratic deans. The final major rebuilding was carried out in 1831 immediately after the demise of George IV, and the house was used by Queen Victoria as a sort of 'confessional' and very private access to the royal pew after her widowhood. Today it is still a fine house after being reduced in size for 20th-c. deans who do not have large familes and many servants. Its rendered south front can still be seen immediately behind the buttressed east end of the Albert Memorial Chapel. ;
Pagination/Size :
20 ill.; diagrams; plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Doyenné (édifice) ; Grande-Bretagne ; Windsor (Berks, GBR), Windsor Castle, S. George's Chapel, deanery ; 1400-1900 ;
Descriptors :
Deaneries ; Great Britain ; Windsor (Berks, GBR), Windsor Castle, S. George's Chapel, deanery ; 1400-1900 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
The Antiquaries journal, 1998, 78
INIST identifier :
24998534 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0003-5815 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;