XML
Title :

Elmodesham House : an Amersham landmark for three centuries

Authors :
TRENCH, John Chenevix ; FENLEY, Pauline ;
Publication year :
1995
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Elmodesham House was built ca.1710. The staircase paintings on walls and ceiling, in the style of Sir James Thornhill, were probably added in the 1730s, when the present staircase was built. After 1747, the present entrance hall was built in the space occupied by a carriage entry. The improvements were carried out by Isaac Eeles, who succeeded the original builder, his uncle, Charles Eeles. The house was eventually sold, and is now divided into flats. ;
Pagination/Size :
10 ill.; plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Amersham (GBR), Elmodesham House ; Eeles, famille, 15e-18e s. ; Grande-Bretagne ; Maison ; Peinture murale ; Suiveurs ; Thornhill, James, 1675-1734 ; 1700-1800 ; 1700-2000 ; 1710-1931 ; 1730 ;
Descriptors :
Amersham (GBR), Elmodesham House ; Eeles family, 15th-18th cs. ; Followers ; Great Britain ; Houses ; Mural painting ; Thornhill, James, 1675-1734 ; 1700-1800 ; 1700-2000 ; 1710-1931 ; 1730 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Records of Buckinghamshire, 1995, 37
INIST identifier :
24993513 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0967-2885 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Bucks Archaeological Society, Aylesbury
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;