XML
Title :

The church of St. Thomas of Canterbury, Salisbury

Author :
TATTON-BROWN, Tim ;
Publication year :
1997
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Reexamines the late medieval church of S. Thomas and suggests a new architectural history. Earlier theories of a 13th c. cruciform church are rejected, and it is suggested that the south tower was not first built as a free-standing bell-tower, but as the upper stage of a new south porch of ca.1400 that was contemporary with the surviving walls of the nave aisles. Discussion of the rebuilding, and lengthening eastwards, of the chancel (after it collapsed in 1448), is followed by an examination of the reconstruction of the nave arcades, west window and roof. ;
Pagination/Size :
3 ill.; 1 plan ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Eglise ; Grande-Bretagne ; Salisbury (GBR), S. Thomas of Canterbury ; 1400-1500 ;
Descriptors :
Architecture ; Churches ; Great Britain ; Salisbury (GBR), S. Thomas of Canterbury ; 1400-1500 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine (1982), 1997, 90
INIST identifier :
24993512 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0262-6608 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Sutton, Gloucester
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;