XML
Title :

Edward IV's bulwark : excavations at Tower Hill, London, 1985

Author :
HUTCHINSON, Michael ;
Publication year :
1996
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Excavations within a drainage trench traversing Tower Hill uncovered remains of an 11th or 12th c. structure and the Tower Bulwark, an outwork or barbican to the Lion Tower begun by Edward IV in 1480. Defensive walls, the northern bastion and a building attached to the inside of the Bulwark walls were all recorded. Evidence of bone-working and smithying was discovered in the cellar of the building, while a large group of distillation vessels was found nearby. Encroachments against the Bulwark were pulled down during the Great Fire of 1666 to help create a fire break. Demolition of the Bulwark itself began in 1668 as part of a scheme to strengthen the western entrance to the Tower. During the early 18th c. its visible remains were concealed by the landscaping of Tower Hill. ;
Pagination/Size :
25 ill.; 13 plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Boulevard (fortification) ; Fouilles ; Grande-Bretagne ; London (GBR), Tower of London ; London (GBR), Tower Hill ; Matériel archéologique ; Palais ; 1000-1800 ; 1400-1500 ; 1400-1700 ; 1480 ;
Descriptors :
Archaeological materials ; Architecture ; Bulwarks ; Excavations ; Great Britain ; London (GBR), Tower of London ; London (GBR), Tower Hill ; Palaces ; 1000-1800 ; 1400-1500 ; 1400-1700 ; 1480 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Transactions of the London & Middlesex Archaeological Society, 1996, 47
INIST identifier :
24993498 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;