XML
Title :

Pembroke House, Whitehall

Author :
BRINDLE, Steven ;
Publication year :
1998
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Pembroke House, the London home of the Earls of Pembroke in the 18th c., was destroyed in 1938 to make way for the Ministry of Defence building. However, four major state rooms from the house were reconstructed within the ministry. Brindle traces Pembroke House's chequered architectural history, describing the contributions of Colen Campbell (1723-1724), Roger Morris (ca.1730-1744), Sir William Chambers (1760-1773) and James Wyatt (1800-1801). The rooms which survive in the Ministry of Defence are shown to embody not only three important ceilings by Chambers, but also what is probably work by Morris, hitherto unrecognized. In the past it has been believed that what was demolished in 1938 was the work of Chambers. It is here shown to be basically the work of Campbell. ;
Pagination/Size :
30 ill.; 10 plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Campbell, Colen, 1676-1729 ; Chambers, William, 1723-1796 ; Destruction ; Grande-Bretagne ; Hôtel particulier ; London (GBR), Ministry of Defence ; London (GBR), Pembroke House ; Morris, Roger, 1695-1749 ; Mécénat ; Pembroke, earls of ; Wyatt, James, 1746-1813 ; 1700-1800 ; 1723-1801 ; 1938 ;
Descriptors :
Architecture ; Campbell, Colen, 1676-1729 ; Chambers, William, 1723-1796 ; Destruction ; Great Britain ; London (GBR), Ministry of Defence ; London (GBR), Pembroke House ; Morris, Roger, 1695-1749 ; Patronage ; Pembroke, earls of ; Town houses ; Wyatt, James, 1746-1813 ; 1700-1800 ; 1723-1801 ; 1938 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Georgian Group journal, 1998, 8
INIST identifier :
24993481 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0963-1070 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Georgian Group, London
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;