Title :

Excavations at St. Mary d'Urso, Drogheda, County Louth

Author :
HALPIN, Eoin ;
Publication year :
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Excavations were undertaken in advance of development at the priory and hospital of S. Mary d'Urso in 1989. The earliest occupation or use of the site dated to the late 12th c., soon after the foundation of the town by Hugh de Lacy. The evidence took the form of a large, steeply-sided ditch which ran north/south along the present line of Patrickswell Street. Subsequently, in the early years of the 13th c. the priory and hospital were founded. Over the next three centuries the priory grew in wealth and prestige, evidenced by the construction, in the late 15th c. of the bell tower and the range of buildings to the south of the church. The line of the town boundary was moved to its present position probably by the end of the 13th c. Thus the line of the old and new town boundaries created the limits of the abbey precinct. 'Garden soil' can readily be attributed to the use of the precinct land for cultivation. After the dissolution the precinct lands became available for the construction of secular, urban dwellings. Tenements of the late 16th and early 17th cs. were uncovered. Larger town houses were constructed in the early years of the 19th c. Specialist reports describe architectural fragments, ceramics (local and imports), and human bone. ;
Pagination/Size :
18 ill.; maps; plans ;
Topic :
French keywords :
Drogheda (IRL), S. Mary d'Urso ; Eglise ; Fouilles ; Hôpital ; Irlande ; Maison ; Matériel archéologique ; Prieuré ; 1200-1600 ; 1500-1900 ;
Descriptors :
Archaeological materials ; Churches ; Drogheda (IRL), S. Mary d'Urso ; Excavations ; Hospitals ; Houses ; Ireland ; Priories ; 1200-1600 ; 1500-1900 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Journal of the County Louth Archaeological and Historical Society, 1996, 23, 4
INIST identifier :
24992690 ;
ISSN 0070-1327 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Dundalgan Press, Dundalk
Publisher country :