XML
Title :

The infirmary complex at Ely

Author :
HOLTON-KRAYENBUHL, Anne ;
Publication year :
1997
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Presents results of an archaeological survey carried out in conjunction with the restoration of Ely cathedral between 1989 and 1996. The infirmary hall and chapel were built in the later 12th c. incorporating an earlier structure which may have been a chapel. Important additions and alterations were made throughout the medieval period; by the early 16th c., the infirmary hall had become a passage giving access to apartments on either side. The post-medieval history of the buildings is summarized. The evolution of the buildings is discussed in the light of material and documentary evidence, and comparison is made with other Benedictine infirmaries. ;
Pagination/Size :
29 ill.; 10 plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Archéologie ; Ely (GBR), Holy Trinity (cathédrale) ; Fouilles ; Grande-Bretagne ; Hôpital ; Restauration ; 1100-1600 ; 1160-1600 ;
Descriptors :
Archaeology ; Architecture ; Ely (GBR), Holy Trinity (cathedral) ; Excavations ; Great Britain ; Hospitals ; Restoration ; 1100-1600 ; 1160-1600 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Archaeological journal (London), 1997, 154
INIST identifier :
24992637 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0066-5983 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Royal Archaeological Institute, London
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;