XML
Title :

Excavations within the medieval town at New Radnor, Powys, 1991-92

Authors :
JONES, N. W. ; ALDHOUSE-GREEN, S. H. R. ; GIBSON, A. ; COURTNEY, P. ; SALTER, C. ; CASELDINE, A. E. ; BARROW, C. J. ;
Publication year :
1998
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Excavations just inside the main west gate of the town, a plantation of probably the later 12th c., confirm that parts of the town that were intensively occupied in the 13th and 14th cs. were abandoned as the settlement shrank and diminished in status from the later 15th c. onwards. The earliest buildings, founded on earth-fast posts appear to have been replaced by ones of sill-beam construction, possibly during the later 13th and 14th cs. One structure was converted into an ironworking smithy in the 14th or 15th c., to which a corn-drying kiln was attached. Charred remains of cultivated plants are dominated by oats, most of which probably represents crop processing activity. Specialist reports include details of pottery and metalwork. ;
Pagination/Size :
26 ill.; maps; plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Fouilles ; Grande-Bretagne ; New Radnor (GBR) ; Petite ville ; Trouvaille ; Urbanisme ; 1100-1500 ;
Descriptors :
Archaeological finds ; Architecture ; Excavations ; Great Britain ; New Radnor (GBR) ; Towns ; Urbanism ; 1100-1500 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Archaeological journal (London), 1998, 155
INIST identifier :
24976047 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0066-5983 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Royal Archaeological Institute, London
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;