XML
Title :

The reuse of the monastic buildings at Chester, 1540-1640

Author :
THACKER, Alan ;
Publication year :
1995
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
S. Werburgh's abbey was refounded as the cathedral church of the new see of Chester in 1541, when the entire precinct was handed over to the newly constituted dean and chapter (the dedication changed to Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary). The main building in the precinct, the former abbey church, was reconstructed ca.1260-1360, and in the later 14th, 15th and 16th cs. For much of the century before the Civil War, Chester was not a well endowed cathedral. Little new work was done, a factor in the exceptionally complete survival of the monastic complex. The most substantial programme of rebuilding and restoration in both cathedral and precinct was in the 1630s at the instance of the bishop rather than the chapter. ;
Pagination/Size :
1 plan ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Abbaye ; Architecture ; Chester (GBR), Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary (cathédrale) ; Eglise ; Grande-Bretagne ; Réemploi ; 1200-1600 ; 1500-1700 ;
Descriptors :
Architecture ; Chester (GBR), Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary (cathedral) ; Churches ; Great Britain ; Monasteries ; Reuse ; 1200-1600 ; 1500-1700 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1995, 145
INIST identifier :
24975996 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0140-332X ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, Liverpool
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;