XML
Title :

The architecture of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Hawthorn

Author :
LLOYD, Joan E. Barclay ;
Publication year :
1998
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
The church of the Immaculate Conception, Hawthorn (near Melbourne), an important example of 19th-c. church architecture, was built by the Jesuits a year after their arrival in the colony in 1866. Traces the church's building history from the first architectural competition won by Crouch and Wilson in 1867, through a renewal of the master plan for the liturgical east end by Reed, Smart and Tappin in 1890, to the completion of the spire, the entrance porch, and the transepts and contiguous structures by A.A. Fritsch and his son. Publishes documents connected to the building's architectural and decorative history. ;
Pagination/Size :
16 ill.; 5 plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Australie ; Crouch and Wilson (firme architecturale), Melbourne (AUS) ; Décoration intérieure ; Eglise ; Eglise catholique ; Fritsch, Augustus Andrew II, m.1933 ; Hawthorn (AUS), Church of the Immaculate Conception ; Jésuites ; Reed, Smart and Tappin (firme architecturale), Melbourne (AUS) ; 1800-1900 ;
Descriptors :
Architecture ; Australia ; Catholic Church ; Churches ; Crouch and Wilson (architectural firm), Melbourne (AUS) ; Fritsch, Augustus Andrew II, d.1933 ; Hawthorn (AUS), Church of the Immaculate Conception ; Interior decoration ; Jesuits ; Reed, Smart and Tappin (architectural firm), Melbourne (AUS) ; 1800-1900 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Melbourne art journal, 1998, 2
INIST identifier :
24974931 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 1329-9441 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
University of Melbourne, Melbourne
Publisher country :
AUSTRALIA ;