XML
Title :

Choir-stalls from the 14th-century Whitefriars church in Coventry

Author :
TRACY, Charles ;
Publication year :
1997
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
The choir-stalls made for the Whitefriars church, Coventry in the late 14th c. are virtually unknown to scholarship. After the Reformation most of them were moved to the premises of the city's Free School, where they were used for over 300 years as desks. Although the furniture is in a badly abraded state, many of the surviving misericords are well preserved, and the generally high quality of craftsmanship can still be recognized. In this account of the monument special emphasis is given to the heraldry of the misericords, which includes the arms of mayors of London and Coventry. On the basis mainly of style the stalls must have been made at about the same time as those at Lincoln cathedral. However the as yet unpublished archaeological evidence suggests that this dating needs to be pushed on by a decade. ;
Pagination/Size :
pl. 22-28; 33 ill. ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Coventry (GBR), Whitefriars, église ; Grande-Bretagne ; Héraldique ; Iconographie ; Miséricorde (mobilier d'église) ; Mobilier d'église ; Restitution intellectuelle ; Sculpture ; Stalles ; 1300-1400 ;
Descriptors :
Choir stalls ; Church furnishings ; Coventry (GBR), Whitefriars, church ; Great Britain ; Heraldry ; Iconography ; Misericords (church furnishings) ; Reconstruction ; Sculpture ; 1300-1400 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 1997, 150
INIST identifier :
24954168 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0068-1288 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
British Archaeological Association, London
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;