XML
Title :

The Crusader cathedral of Tyre

Author :
PRINGLE, Denys ;
Publication year :
2001
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
The Crusader cathedral of Tyre, built in the 12th c. and destroyed by Mamluks after 1291, was one of the largest and most prestigious ecclesiastical buildings in the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. Although its above-ground remains were studied in the 19th c. and its foundations fully excavated in the 20th, no satisfactory plan has yet been published. A new survey of what little now remains was therefore undertaken in May 1998. This paper combines the results of the new survey with an account of the history of the building. ;
Pagination/Size :
28 ill.; 4 plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ; 5303A - 300-1400 ; Architecture et fouilles ; 530-III - 300-1400 ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Croisés ; Eglise ; Jérusalem, Royaume latin de ; Liban ; Prospection archéologique ; Tyr (LBN), cathédrale ; 1100-1200 ;
Descriptors :
Archaeological surveying ; Architecture ; Churches ; Crusaders ; Jerusalem, Latin Kingdom of ; Lebanon ; Tyre (LBN), cathedral ; 1100-1200 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Levant (London), 2001, 33
INIST identifier :
24926836 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0075-8914 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Maney, Leeds
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;