XML
Title :

Zur skulpturalen Dekoration von Orsanmichele in Florenz

Author :
KREYTENBERG, Gert ;
Conference :
Secular sculpture 1300-1550; Stamford; Shaun Tyas ;
Publication year :
2000
Language :
German ;
Abstract :
The building of Orsanmichele, constructed from 1336 to serve as a market hall for the grain market and as a civic granary, also enshrined the tabernacle for the miraculous image of the Madonna, newly constructed by Giovanni di Balduccio. In 1339 it was decreed that images or statues of the patron saints of the Parte Guelfa and the 12 Greater Guilds should be placed on the external sides of the exterior piers of the market hall. The programme of statues was completed between 1410 and 1425. The placing of saints as representatives of politically relevant organizations on the piers of a public secular building was a notion without precedent. Submits that the iconographic precedents of such a programme are to be found in the cycles of statues of the Apostles on the piers of cathedrals such as that in Siena. In these, the Apostles are understood as pillars of the Church. Similarly, the patron saints on the piers of Orsanmichele represent institutions of secular power. At the same time the party and the guilds document their reverence for their respective patron saints, and all together reveal their devotion to the Madonna. ;
Pagination/Size :
3 ill. ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ; 5303B - 300-1400 ; Sculpture ; 530-III - 300-1400 ;
French keywords :
Colonne ; Corporation ; Firenze (ITA), Orsanmichele ; Iconographie ; Iconographie chrétienne ; Italie ; Mécénat ; Parte Guelfa ; Politique ; Saints ; Sculpture ; 1300-1500 ;
Descriptors :
Christian iconography ; Columns ; Firenze (ITA), Orsanmichele ; Guilds ; Iconography ; Italy ; Parte Guelfa ; Patronage ; Politics ; Saints ; Sculpture ; 1300-1500 ;
Document type :
Communication de congrès ;
INIST identifier :
24922513 ;
ISBN :
ISBN 1900829210 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;