XML
Title :

The Picture Gallery at Paxton House restored

Author :
CANNON-BROOKES, Peter ;
Publication year :
1993
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Describes the picture gallery at Paxton House, Borders, which was commissioned in 1811 by George Home to display his collection of ca.150 paintings and other works of art collected by his ancestor Patrick Home. Robert Reid built the East Wing which houses the gallery, the earliest purpose-built picture gallery in Scotland. It, along with the entire house, has recently been restored, and the National Galleries of Scotland have lent 73 paintings from their reserve collections for permanent display there. ;
Pagination/Size :
1 ill. ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ; 5305A - 1800-1945 ; Architecture ; 530-V - 1800-1945 ;
French keywords :
Architecture ; Collections ; Edinburgh (GBR), National Galleries of Scotland ; Grande-Bretagne ; Musée ; Paxton House, Borders (GBR) ; Peinture ; Prêts ; Restauration ; 1900-2000 ;
Descriptors :
Architecture ; Collections ; Edinburgh (GBR), National Galleries of Scotland ; Great Britain ; Loans ; Museums ; Painting ; Paxton House, Borders (GBR) ; Restoration ; 1900-2000 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Museum management and curatorship (1990), 1993, 12, 2, June
INIST identifier :
25137378 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0964-7775 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
Butterworth, Guildford
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;