XML
Title :

The excavation of a cemetery and putative chapel site at Newhall Point, Balblair, Ross & Cromarty, 1985

Author :
REED, David ;
Publication year :
1995
Language :
English ;
Abstract :
Rescue excavation was carried out on the recorded site of an early medieval burial ground and chapel. A complex cluster of east/west and north/south orientated skeletons was uncovered. The roughly circular cemetery was at least partly enclosed by a ditch. Crudely worked, sandstone blocks found within some grave fills formed 'head-sets'. On present evidence the Balblair cemetery was almost certainly in use during the 11th and 12th cs., and could have remained in use over three centuries or more. There was no evidence so far for a chapel within the enclosure, but it is quite possible, or even probable, that the remains of a small stone or wooden chapel are located elsewhere within the enclosure. ;
Pagination/Size :
*779-791 (report partly on fiche); 5 ill.; 1 map; 3 plans ;
Topic :
530 - BIBLIOGRAPHIE D'HISTOIRE DE L'ART ;
French keywords :
Balblair (GBR) ; Chapelle ; Cimetière ; Fouilles ; Grande-Bretagne ; Moyen Age ; Tombe ; 1000-1200 ;
Descriptors :
Balblair (GBR) ; Cemeteries ; Chapels ; Excavations ; Graves ; Great Britain ; Medieval ; 1000-1200 ;
Document type :
Article ;
Source :
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1995, 125
INIST identifier :
25049515 ;
ISSN :
ISSN 0081-1564 ;
Provenance :
Bibliographie d'Histoire de l'Art ;
Publisher :
National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, Edinburgh
Publisher country :
UNITED KINGDOM ;